Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mural Making



I'm finally sketching some ideas for a new mural to go in the dining room our new house. I've been pondering it since before we moved in. I am a bit challenged since the walls space is more than 32' in length and quite narrow in height. I'm really wanting to choose a theme that is new for us, and that is congruent with the style of this house. I've had a few inspiration pieces taped up on the wall so I can get clear about what I want, and what I don't want. I think I'm getting closer.

I really love landscapes. I did a large scale landscape mural seven years ago at a private residence and I keep coming back to a wide expansive landscape as a subject for this room. I'm imagining this "land" to be Alameda before it was developed. There is marsh, small stands of trees, brush and native plant life. The Oakland/Berkeley hills are in the background. In the center, there is a small cottage and a rough road leading to it. On the first panel there is a young girl, sitting and sketching (or reading) that is either my dear Annie, or a Native American girl. (Maybe they are one in the same!) In the foreground of the first panel there is a small white heron hunting in a the marshy grass. (Annie's request.) Overall I want the time of day to seem either early morning or right after sunset.


We'll see. Next step will be to transfer the sketches to the walls and see how it feels. Ahhhh!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be so impressive. If you move, you'd have to tear out the walls. So much meaning, to wonderful.

Garden State Kate said...

That is lovely.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I like them all. For some reason the last one made me nostalgic for Sonoma. Thanks for sharing your work.

Cher Mere said...

I find it so amazing you can do that. I love how you bring your passions and vision into your life.

Green Kitchen said...

I love your sketches! Makes me want to draw.

Project Pink Suitcase said...

I love all of your sketches/mini paintings. You can't wrong with any of them. I look forward to seeing how it develops.