Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Open Heart - An Indian Princess

Ever since Valerie over at Project Pink Suitcase posted about her real Grandmother, and how she was a beautiful Indian Princess (check out the photograph of her as a young woman), I've envied her unique American heritage. I believe Valerie's Grandmother was part Chippewa, so I say upfront, I earnestly apologize to any and all tribes if my version worsened any stereotypes, because I admit, I didn't do research for costume, face painting, hair, well, anything! That said, I loved wearing this costume! Annie kept saying "Mom, you look so beautiful!" and she was so excited that I dressed up, plus I got some very nice comments from some folks we saw trick-or-treating. I was surprised and delighted at how much dressing up lightened my spirit and shifted me into a playful, open-hearted mood! Yeah Halloween! Well, except that Annie's 'Candy Fairy' trade-in gift didn't arrive on time, even though I paid for the quicker shipping! Oh well, I put a note hanging from a Chinese umbrella mobile (that I've had stashed away) from the fairy telling her to look for the big brown truck...she'll love it!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring. That encapsulates all of you. Your beads (?) and the 20th century face painting. Too cute!

Project Pink Suitcase said...

I love your costume! Thank you for thinking of me and my grandma. Some days I really miss her. I'll have to post another photo of her. I took some B/W 35mm photos of her while I was at Art Center for a photography class.
Keep up the great blog!!!