Sunday, January 7, 2007

Avoiding the Draft


This house is around 100 years old and yes, it is darling and wonderful, and it has no insulation at all. It's always freezing in the winter and this one is no exception. I've been trying to keep the room we sleep in warm so we can escape the cold without wasting a bunch of energy. Ugh! I hate contributing to global warming! And I had my electric bill down to under $19 a month this summer/fall! Now it's just under $80 a month with the use of electric heaters, and I'm still cold! (If we owned this house I would install a fireplace insert and insulate the whole thing.) O.K., on with my story. So I went to the hardware store and saw this window insulating plastic stuff and I brought it home and covered five of the six upstairs windows. All you need is a blow dryer. Once it's up and trimmed you can't see it at all. It's been a few days and it's really staying warmer and I'm not having to run the heater as long or as high! So I'm spreading the news. If you have a very drafty, energy inefficient house, this could work for you. And no, I'm not getting a kick-back from 3M. Click here to see what I bought.



Photo above -Daphne sitting in front of the wall heater with her wool sweater on.
And just above - See what the freezing temperature did to our guest? No, really it's Annie's new skeletal, organ/anatomy figure that she got for Christmas.

No comments: