Thursday, September 20, 2007

Finished Felting

Wow! Those were easy to make.
Really!
You barely need to know how to knit! Each slipper only took maybe 1 hour to make.
I think they are really good looking, plus the mohair makes them really toasty!

The felting procedure went like this;
1.) Put both slippers in a bowl.
2,) Put a drop of dish soap on them.
3.) Pour boiling hot water over the slippers to cover.
4.) Using a potato masher, mash slippers for a few minutes.
5.) Pour off water, add a drop more dish soap on each and lather them like crazy,
wad them in a ball, squish and squash then rinse with medium temperature water.
6. Squeeze as much water out of them as possible without stretching them out. I wrapped them in a towel and really pressed.
7.) Fit them on your feet to shape, then set them somewhere to air dry for a day or two, depending on the weather. After they dried I fitted each with a foam support insert, cut to size (from Longs Drugs) to make them more comfortable.
8.) I added puff paint in small dots on the bottom of each (in gold to match) so they don't slip all over the wood floors.

Ta da!
My next attempt will be to make a pair of mules. I don't have a pattern so it's R&D at it's most basic. If you need any guidance or support in making a pair like these, or have questions, just leave them in comments and I'll answer you! Also, I link to the original, easy pattern here, in this post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are ever so cute. They look like old fashion boots. I like the new border as well.

Anonymous said...

These totally, totally rock. Look at them! Look at you go! Thanks for sharing. Barely know how to knit you say...? Hmmmmm.... Nice to know where to come for great instructions in case I'd like to give it a go!
May you have warm toesies all winter long :)

Unknown said...

Holy hell those look great! Man I wish I knew how to knit!

laura capello said...

i bought some 100% wool sweaters at the thrift store for felting. i cut off the sleeves and buttons and washed them twice in seriously hot water and they didn't do anything. wtf?

(and those are totally cute!)